Chilean Immigration services are handled through the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones. Some nationalities require authorization prior to entry. Please check here to see if your nationality requires prior authorization or a visa to enter Chile.

Citizens of all countries must ensure that their passport is valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of arrival.

Chilean immigration law states that if the duration of the studies in Chile is more than 90 days, in that case, international exchange students are required to apply for a student visa (Residencia Temporal: Visa de Residente Estudiante). It is strongly recommended that international exchange students enter Chile with student visa (Residencia Temporal: Visa de Residente Estudiante) as a semester at FEN is more than 90 days. 

The International Office holds an online Visa Information Session prior to the semester exchange program. It is highly recommended that students participate in this session.

The information below may not apply to citizens of all countries and is meant for general information purposes only and is subject to change. 

Student Visa (Residencia Temporal: Visa de Residente Estudiante)

In order to apply for this visa, go to the website and click on ”Solicitud de Residencia Temporal para extranjeros fuera de Chile.” Complete the requested information. 

You will need to have the following information and documents in PDF format available at the time of application:

  • Passport identification page
  • Legalized or apostilled background check certificate from the country of origin (Only English and Spanish. All other languages will have to be translated into Spanish)
  • Certificate from educational establishment (FEN Acceptance Letter)
  • Certificate of Enrollment from your home university (this letter states that you are a regular student enrolled at your home university and upon completing the exchange program, you will return to your home university)
  • Notarized proof of funds (sworn letter stating that someone is sponsoring your trip, any financial scholarship information, etc)

The cost is approximately $171.183 CLP and you will have to complete payment in order to process your request. Payment is through Klap´s PayPal. There are no refunds under any circumstances.

The Universidad de Chile has an agreement that helps streamline the student visa (Residencia Temporal: Visa de Residente Estudiante) application process. Once you have submitted your application with Servicio Nacional de Migraciones, then you need to complete the form that the International Office will share with you. 

The student visa request is taking approximately 2 months to complete. 

Additional procedures and information  will be provided during the online Visa Information Session that the International Office will schedule prior to your arrival.

Upon your arrival, make sure you keep ANY and ALL documents given to you from a governmental official.

If you come on a Student Visa AND obtain your Chilean identity card, you WILL be eligible for the Student MetroCard which provides discounts on public transportation in Santiago. This process, however, is external to FEN and the duration of the application varies depending on the semester. Because of this, the Student MetroCard is recommended for students who are studying in Chile for one (1) year. A Student MetroCard is NOT available for tourists.

*Neither FEN nor the Universidad de Chile is responsible for student visa procedures. The approval is solely the responsibility of the Chilean Immigration Services (Servicio Nacional de Migraciones). FEN will provide an Acceptance Letter as proof of a student’s intention to study in Chile.

For more information, please review these helpful websites:

Tourist Visa (Visa Permanencia Transitoria)

This section is directed at short-term study programs and areas of study that are for 90 days or less.

International students whose period of study in Chile is less than 90 days do not require a student visa. Therefore, you can enter as a tourist (permanencia transitoria) . Some countries require you to apply and have a Tourist Visa (permanencia transitoria) prior to your arrival. Please review this list for prices.

If you are studying in Chile on as tourist or with a tourist visa bear in mind the following:

  • Proof of a return flight leaving within 90 days is required. Even though students may renew their tourist visas for an additional 90 days without leaving the country, proof of a return flight leaving within the initial 90-day window may be required. Students should verify any ticket change policies and fees with their airline prior to booking.
  • Be mindful of your arrival date. Students wishing to arrive early to Chile must be careful not to arrive too early so as to not start their 90 day count too early.
  • Your tourist or visa status can not be changed while in Chile. 
  • If the Chilean government issues any decree restricting foreign entry, there is no legal justification for permitting tourists to enter the country (ie: pandemics, declarations of war/conflict, etc).
  • International students are strongly encouraged to save any international travel plans for after the program end date. 









Diagonal Paraguay 205 Santiago de Chile - Código Postal 0023456 / Teléfono  (+56) 2 2978 3911
Escuelas de Pregrado FEN-UChile